Why does gargling with salt water help a sore throat
Through osmosis, the salt draws out the edema fluid, killing the bacteria, which requires a warm, wet environment. ChaCha soon! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/why-does-gargling-with-salt-water-help-a-sore-throat ]
More Answers to "Why does gargling with salt water help a sore throat"
- Does pectin help sore throats?
- Pharyngitis Treatment. View diagnostic tests, medical proecedures, otc and prescription drugs on Healthline Treatment Search. There are 7 procedures and 4 prescriptions found for Pharyngitis...
- What symptoms of sore throat with dry cough?
- Sore Throat. A sore throat is discomfort, pain, or scratchiness in the throat. A sore throat often makes it painful to swallow.
- How does gargling salt water help with a sore throat??
- salt pulls excess fluid out of the tissues thereby reducing swelling.
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- When you have a sore throat, does sucking the salt off of pretzels help it just like gargling salt water does?
- Q: When you have a sore throat, gargling with warm salt water is said to make it feel better. Instead, I'll suck the salt off of pretzels.
- A: possibly but probably not anywhere near affective as gargling doesmainly because with gargling there is 1. alot more salt coming in contact with ur throat 2. a bigger distribution of that salt (all over throat area)the reason salt does this btw is because salt is a natural antiseptic, (whcih means it kills germs), in this case killing the germs in ur throat = making your throat feel betterand because salt soothes our skin (thraot)(like a very mild sedative)
- Why does gargling with salt water help a sore throat with a cold or strep?
- Q: I have strep, and I tried it.It hurts like hell. Im not doing this again unless there's a darn good reason..So it has nothing to do with killing the infection?
- A: Well -it has more to do with comfort than anything else -- warm salt water can help with inflammation - soothing irritated mucosa (lining) of the throat. You can also sip hot tea with honey or warm broth.if it hurts -you used too much salt in your mix. It should only be a tiny amount of salt in the warm water. If you have too much salt, it can dessicate the lining (dry up) which will make it hurt more.To kill the infection, you need to take antibotics (for strep throat- i.e bacterial) or wait it out if it is viral.
- What is the best way to treat a sore throat? Does gargling with warm salt water really help?
- Q: I'm just wondering whether the warm salt water treatment truly works, and if not, what can I do to treat my sore throat?
- A: Warm salt water does help and is recommended by many doctors. Also you might want to try a cup of warm water and 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of lemon. This will sooth your throat and also help with coughing and other such things that go along with a sore throat, a Tylenol every 4 to 6 hours would also help.
Prev Question: What is the best way to get over a cold
People also view