Are straight jackets still used
Yes, straight jackets are still used to prevent people from hurting themselves. Thanks for using ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/are-straight-jackets-still-used ]
More Answers to "Are straight jackets still used"
- Are straight jackets still used in mental hospitals today in the ...?
- Straight jackets started to be used around the end of WWI (1945-1950ish) This was the time that hospitals were getting away from medicating patients. They still wanted a way to keep patients "under control" some how. Straight jack...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Are straight jackets still used in mental hospitals today in the usa?
- A: Straight jackets started to be used around the end of WWI (1945-1950ish) This was the time that hospitals were getting away from medicating patients. They still wanted a way to keep patients "under control" some how. Straight jackets provided that. Sometime between 1978 and 1985 hospitals stopped using straight jackets and gave patients more freedoms. At that point the "hard restraints" and "soft restraints" came along. These are what are used currently. To put it in the most simplest terms, hard restraints are when both the arms and legs are restrained. Soft restraints are used to keep the arms restrained. People do still need these restraints for a variety of reasons. It could be because they have OD and are combative, they could be extremely agitated and need to be protected for their safety, there are so many reasons that it is hard to put them all down.Restraints are still used today, they are less confining than a straight jacket, but are still used for a lot of the same reasons.
- I was wondering if they still use straight jackets to restrain the mentally challenged?
- Q: Also have they changed the name to be more politically correct ? :))
- A: I'm no expert, but I believe the way they control combative patients now is through drugs rather than physical restraints.
- Do hospitals use straight jackets still?
- Q: I think i have a memory of when I was in of them using it on me but my ECT kinda has made those memories fuzzy.
- A: i am a volunteer mental health advocate in a hospital / i fight these kind of things There is a mental health bill of rights when you go in the hospital just the same as when you go into a regular hospital there is a regular bill of rights as to what you want them to do and not do - meds they can give you restraints they can put on you etc. you need to ask for it and complete it before you go in - yes straight jackets are used in very extreme circumstances but ask for your rights before you have to go into the hospital complete the form and have it ready when you have to go in so the doctor and hospital will have it
Prev Question: What are some ways to keep your cool
People also view