Why do we get Charley Horses
Overworked muscles, prolonged sitting, dehydration and certain medications can be the cause of Charley Horses or leg cramps. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/why-do-we-get-charley-horses ]
More Answers to "Why do we get Charley Horses"
- Why do you get charley horses in your legs?
- A "Charley Horse" is an uncontrolled muscle contraction and can be very painful. Any muscle can develop contractions but "Charley horse" most often occur in the calf of the leg or the foot. Over use, muscle strain or rem...
- Why do i get charley horses in my legs?
- Generally, charlie horses are due to calcium and magnesium deficiency. Take a blood pressure device and put it around your leg calf (about mid-way). Slowly pump up the pressure and at the first sign of a charlie horse, let the pressure out....
- How do we get Charlie horses?
- Charlir Horses are caused due to hormonal imbalances, dehydration, low levels of potassium or calcium in the blood, side effects of medication, or more seriously, diseases such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and neuropathy. They are also ...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Why have i been getting so many Charley horses lately?
- Q: I have been getting a lot of Charley horses lately and they usually happen at the middle of the night when i'm sleeping. I've lost 25 pounds recently though could that be why? I thought you only got them when you start to gain weight or if you're low on potassium.
- A: You could be dehydrated. That happens to my husband.
- Why am I getting charley horses in my left leg so often?
- Q: In the middle of the night, I wake up in HORRIBLE pain with a charley horse ONLY in my left leg. I have been getting these at least 4-5 times a month for the past 6 months. I exercise regularly, eat well, and generally drink a lot of liquids. They say they're nothing to worry about, but I know I shouldn't be getting them so much so often, especially in the same leg. Any thoughts?
- A: Could be lack of calcium, magnesium or potassium. Have you had blood tests? Try to take extra calcium like Tums or increase milk, ice cream, etc.
- Why do I get charley horses when I'm asleep?
- Q: The only time I ever got them before was when I was pregnant (3 years ago). This is the second week I've gotten one when I was asleep. I woke up last weekend with a charley horse too and my husband had to rub it out because I was screaming from the pain. How can I prevent these with more than just stretching?
- A: eat more bananasThese muscle cramps can have many possible causes including hormonal imbalances, dehydration, side effects of medication, or more seriously, diseases such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and neuropathy.Cramps in the calf muscle can be defused by outstretching the leg, pushing the heel downward, and pointing your toes toward your head. Standing up with most of your weight on the ball of the foot.
Prev Question: What can you do to make your period shorter and lighter
People also view