What is phenylketonuria
Phenylketonuria is an inherited metabolic disorder caused by an enzyme deficiency causing usually severe mental retardation.ChaCha [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-phenylketonuria ]
More Answers to "What is phenylketonuria"
- Phenylketonuria (commonly known as PKU) is an inherited disorder that increases the levels of a substance called phenylalanine in the blood. Phenylalanine is a building block of proteins (an amino acid) that is obtained through the diet. It...
- Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a rare hereditary condition in which the amino acid phenylalanine is not properly metabolized.
- Phenylketonuria (fen-il-ke-to-NU-re-ah) , also called PKU, is an inherited condition where the body cannot break down certain foods. Normally, the liver makes many enzymes (proteins) that break down substances, such as phenylalanine. Phenyl...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Q: My son has pku (phenylketonuria) if you, a friend or family member has this, how do you (or they) feel about having it.what bumbs in the road have you hit by having pku?.I'd like an idea to what my son may face one day.he is on his diet, what social problems may he face with his peers etc
- A: My six year old daughter has PKU. She knows that she is only allowed certain foods. Where we live (Eugene, Oregon) there are many different diets anyway. There are people who are vegans, vegetarians, etc. This makes it a bit easier for her to have her diet without too much fuss. Sometimes kids want to share food with her, but she knows that if there are nuts or peanut butter in it that she cannot eat it. The same with meat. For the most part, she has not experienced adverse social effects from her diet. Mainly, kids are curious and ask her questions. We have taught her that God made her this way, and that He has His reasons. She has accepted her condition, and is healthy and well-liked at school.
- What can you eat with Phenylketonuria?
- Q: My friend has Phenylketonuria and I would like to know what type of food thing should I get her for Christmas. I am making all of my friends Candy bags, but I am not sure what to get her. Anything will be useful!
- A: Basically, you have to eat things that are low in protein. Chocolate that's dark (not made with milk) and sweetened with sugar (NOT sugar free!) should be fine, as should any hard candies that are made with real sugar- jolly ranchers, life savers, so on.
- Phenylketonuria: infectious or non infectious and what are the economic and social consequences of the disease?
- Q: Is PKU infectious or non infectious and what are the economic and social consequences of the disease?
- A: PKU is autosomal recessive genetic disorder characterized by a deficiency in the enzyme hepatic phenylalanine hydroxylase (PAH).Non- infectious.For consequences go here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKUand here:http://www.pkunews.org/there is a link there for students writing papers as well. Good luck with your paper.
Prev Question: Is hepatitis an std
People also view