What is lochia
Lochia refers to vaginal discharge during the postpartum period. It consists of blood and sloughed-off uterine tissue. ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-lochia ]
More Answers to "What is lochia"
- Immediately following birth women experience a discharge medically termed lochia. It is first mixed with blood, much like a period, that begins as a heavy flow and becomes lighter and brownish over time, ending as a yellowish white discharg...
- For the first few days after birth lochia contains a fair amount of blood, so it will be bright red and look like a heavy menstrual period. It may come out intermittently in small gushes or flow more evenly. If you've been lying down for a ...
- Lochia is the uterine discharge present after birth, initially is bright red and may contain small clots.During the first 2 hours after birth, the amount of uterine discharge should be approximately that of a heavy menstrual period. After t...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- How long before lochia turned from red to yellow or white after giving birth?
- Q: I've been reading that by about 7-10 days after giving birth the lochia discharge should turn from red to yellow or white. I gave birth 12 days ago and I am still having red or reddish brown bleeding. Is this normal? How long before you went from bleeding red to whitish discharge?
- A: It took me a whole 4 weeks before my discharge turned to brownish yellow, and now 6 weeks later it's finally getting white.
- Q: Is it normal to smell worse than a period and to stop flow and start up again. My baby was born on the first of march.
- A: Mine always had more smell than a period, and yes it will stop and start a few times. I bled for about a month.IF it starts to smell REALLY bad it could be a sign of infection or something, but more likely than not everything is fine and you are having normal bleeding.Congratulations on your new baby! Here's something interesting to consider. www.diaperfreebaby.org I do it with my 4 month old and it is hard to believe but really is possible to be diaper free.
- Does my postpartum bleeding sound like lochia or am I having my period?
- Q: I am 3.5 weeks postpartum and I actually stopped the afterbirth bleeding (lochia) just over a week after delivery. I had a week blood-free and now I am bleeding again. The blood looks like mestrual blood, not pink-tinged like it was before, but I thought your first menstrual cycle woudn't happen so early after birth. Any guesses?
- A: I would say it's still your afterbirth bleeding, even though there was a break and the blood is different. Your uterus is still contracting back to it's normal size and your body is trying to handle the influx of hormones.Sometimes though woman do get their periods right after they stop the afterbirth bleeding.good luck!
Prev Question: What are the symptoms for mono and how long does it last
People also view