What is AIDS
AIDS is Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome: Immune Deficiency means a weakness in the body's system that fights diseases. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-aids ]
More Answers to "What is AIDS"
- AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome) is caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which kills or impairs cells of the immune system and progressively destroys the body's ability to fight infections and certain cancers. HIV is ...
- AIDS - the a cquired i mmuno d eficiency s yndrome - is a disease you get when HIV destroys your body’s immune system. Normally, your immune system helps you fight off illness. When your immune system fails you can become very sick and can ...
- AIDS, or acquired immune deficiency syndrome, is a disorder that is caused by infection with the human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV. This virus attaches to the surface of specific white blood cells called T cells and is therefore able to ...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Q: is it poss to have sex with someone that has aids but dont catch it even if you dont wear a condom....i no someone that it happend to but they have been tested every year after that and still is clean how is that possthey donot have hiv they have aids..... they had it for 20 years now
- A: If your friend is of European decent, then it's possible they have two copies of a genetic mutation known as CCR5 delta 32. A few hundred years ago, when the Great Plagues were ravaging Europe, this same genetic mutation provided people who had two copies of it with complete immunity to the plague bacteria. And since the Plagues ravaged Europe the worst, more people with that gene would have survived there to pass it on.Modern studies have shown that this same gene provides immunity to the HIV virus if the person has two copies. How it works is the gene causes certain receptors on the outside surface of the cell to have a different shape than normal. This receptor is the portal the HIV virus uses to enter the cell. So it's like changing the locks on a door and not giving the virus a copy of the new key. The virus is locked out.People with one copy of this gene still have partial immunity, because it's codominant with the normal copy of the gene.
- where can I get assistance getting hearing aids?
- Q: I'm currently attending school full-time and working a full-time job at Walt Disney World for 7 dollars an hour. Between the tuition for school, and my other bills, and rent, I am having trouble saving enough money for new hearing aids I’m starting to need.Since hearing aids are not covered by insurance and the prices of them are sky-high, I'm afraid I will not have enough money saved to buy new hearing aids by the time I need them.I hate to ask for charity but I'm starting to be backed into a corner. Any suggestion about what I could do?
- A: Check with the Hearing Loss Association of America (www.hearingloss.org), which also has a state organization in Florida with local chapters. That's one place to look.Assuming you're in Florida (home of WDW), check with these organizations:North Florida Lions Hearing Aid Bank Lion William E. "Bill" Pace E-mail: email@example.comNortheast Florida Lions Hearing Aid BankLion Shirley ShulerE-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgFax: 352-372-7915Good luck!
- Whether the AIDS which is very fast spreading disease can be cured and diagnosed at the initial level?
- Q: AIDS is almost incurable disease. Most peoples dies due to diagnosis of the patient at the secondary stage. For prevention of it, use of genuine and reliable condoms and other safety measures has to be taken. If there is proper diagnosis of the probable patient at the initial stage, then he will be cured at the stage before going into the dangerous or secondary level. Also using of reusable syringe through blood donation or curing the disease of the patient, there are more chances of causing AIDS to the patient. So it is always said that "Prevention is Better than Cure". Most peoples move away from AIDS patients due to fear of infection. But it is the wrong way to escape from ourselves. The proper way is to take care of the patient by using good types of handgloves.
- A: Basically when a person contracted the HIV-AIDS or Retro-Virus, there is NO MORE CHANCE of cure (at the present time).Common misconception of many people that there is a cure for it when diagnose at early stage. The only available drugs against Retrovirus at this time is only pallative. It means, the medication is only work to retard or slow down the replication and spread of the virus. But there is no way to eliminate it completely.Another misconception is many people were dying due to HIV-AIDS virus. The real truth was, people infected by retrovirus died not because of the virus perse. They died because secondary to INFECTION of what-so-ever disease.The primary target of retrovirus is CD4 or helper T-Cell. CD4 cell is one type of WBC. It is one of the major defense of our body on fighting bacteria and foreign bodies.Therefore if the retrovirus attack the CD4, the body will be bare defenseless from disease producing microorganism. That is the time people become ill and die from the what-so-ever infection.You are right! PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE. Because there is no CURE yet!For your info: The Diagnosis and Staging of HIV-AIDS virus is based on the level of CD4 helper T-cell.
Prev Question: How often does a person die of lung cancer
People also view