How long does it take for you to get sick from food poisoning
It can take up to 12 hours to feel the effects of food poisoning. Vomiting & diarrhea are the body's way of eliminating the toxin. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/how-long-does-it-take-for-you-to-get-sick-from-food-poisoning ]
More Answers to "How long does it take for you to get sick from food poisoning"
- How Long It Takes To Get Sick From Food Poison
- Incubation periods vary by the type of bacteria or virus - get a stool culture to identify the cause of the illness.
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- How long does it take to feel better from food poisoning?
- Q: I threw up 3 times late Monday night (technically early Tuesday) and had the runs 4 times Tuesday. Since Tuesday, I had no episodes. Thanks goodness. Upon my doctor's visit, he told me that whatever I ate had to been 2 days ago, and then got sick. He also said it had to come from either meat, chicken, or seafood. I pinpointed that it was a hamburger from In N Out. He ran a blood test to see if I may have bacteria. If I do, then I would need to take antibiotics. I'm still waiting for the results. In the meantime, I still feel tired and my appetite is not so good. However, I do use the BRAT diet method (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast). Also, I still have indigestion, but the doctor advised me to take a Pepsid every day for a week to get all the acid out.Has anyone encountered food poisoning like this? And if so, how long does it take to be back to yourself?
- A: There are two types of food "poisons". The first, which causes food intoxication, is when you actually eat the bacterial toxins that are deposited into the food during some types of bacterial growth (Staphylococcus and Clostridium both produce toxins). This type of food poisoning will occur very fast, you'll feel ill quickly after ingesting said food. The other type, food infection, is when you actually eat the bacteria itself. These bacteria can continue to grow in your intestines and make you ill, but it takes longer to feel the effects, sometimes 2 or 3 days. Bacteria such as Campylobacter and Listeria fall here. You're going to feel sort of crappy for a few days. Drink plenty of liquids and take it easy until you hear further from your doc.
- How long does it take for food poisoning (salmonella) to make you sick?
- Q: I heard it can take 72 hours. Is that true?
- A: Sorry to say, every one of the 23 answers so far is wrong because SALMONELLA DOES NOT CAUSE FOOD POISONING. It will make you sick, alright, but that is through INFECTION, not through the ingestion of a preformed toxin, which is what FOOD POISONING is.Why is the difference important? Because food posoning requires you to flush out the offending TOXIN, not the germs which cause it. INFECTION, on the other hand, needs your immune system, competition form other flora, and intestinal peristalsis to remove it, and can lead to other infections of blood, gall bladder, or even your heart.Amazingly, several people answered this question with a good citation which told them this, but they did not even read the source.Now, as to how long after ingestion of Salmonella you can get sick: the BEGINNING of symptoms is usually within 48 hours, but it may be as long as 72 hours. How long it takes depends upon the number of bacteria which you accidentally ingest (eat): if the numbero f bacteria is small, you may have a longer "incubation period"- the time between your contact with the germ and the beginning of illness. The second source tells the interesting story of how this is known- at a medical convention in Wales, Salmonella contaminated chicken was served. The doctors who gorged themselves on the chicken (ate 2 or more pieces) had shorter incubation periods, more fever, and worse diarrhea than the doctors who ate only one piece. Vegetarian doctors did not get ill. You may stay ill for another 4 days if you have uncomplicated infection of the intestines, but if infection spreads to the blood (which is called enteric fever, or typoid fever) you may be ill for 10 more days.
- Food Poisoning?How long from when you eat the "offending" food do you get sick? ?
- Q: Is there any standard? I was only sick for about 20 mins. It was bad. It was about 9 hours after I ate sashimi and 13 or 14 after a Subway breakfast sandwich. I'm wondering if I can pinpoint the food based on the time.
- A: "food poisoning" is exaggeratedIf you have a real case of food poisoning (salmonella) you get diarrhea within 2 hours of eating the offending agent. Milder cases may cause milder symptoms and take a little longer to appear. If you are not dehydrated, and don't have blood in your diarrhea, there is no medical treatment except anti-diarrheals and anti-nausea agents.For more rare diarrheal agents (shigella, vibrio, giardia, campylobacter), a check for these isn't considered useful unless you've had the symptoms for 2 wks.If you have any diarrhea 2 weeks or more, this DEFINATELY is a medical problem and includes the bacteria mentioned above as well as medical conditions such as ulcerative colitis, chron's disease, celiac disease, hiv, and others. Diarrhea means MORE than 4 loose stools per day. Of course, dehydration and depletion of electrolytes is the main problem and if you get dehydrated or feel worse and worse and can't stay hydrated, you need medical attention.Sounds like you had a mild episode of stomach virus aka gastroenteritis. Welcome to the club.
Prev Question: What is diareah
People also view