How long can you live without sleep
In 1977, Maureen Weston of the UK went without sleep for 449 hours (18.7 days). Eventually, your body will force you to sleep. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/how-long-can-you-live-without-sleep ]
More Answers to "How long can you live without sleep"
- How long can you live without sleep?
- About 10 Days. After 1 Day, Reaction time is slowed After 2 Days, Bodily Functions begin to break down. Increased risk for serious illness such as stroke. After 3-4 Days, Hallucinating begins to occur. After 7 Days, possible permanent hormo...
- WHAT IS THE SPLEEN?
- The spleen is a blood filled organ located in the upper left abdominal cavity. It is a storage organ for red blood cells and contains many specialized white blood cells called “macrophages” (disease fighting cells) which act to filter blood...
- Which resource can you live without longer—food or sleep??
- Ans-Food. You can live for only about ten days without sleep, but you can survive for several weeks without food.
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- How long can a person live without sleep?
- Q: How long (average) can someone live without getting a wink of sleep, how long until they die.
- A: A good book to read about this is Sleep Thieves by Stanley Coren. He tells a few stories of people who tried to sustain wakefulness. One famous case is the disc jockey Peter Tripp who in 1959 stayed up for more than eight days as a promotional stunt. After a few days, he began to hallucinate, seeing kittens, mice, and cobwebs. He also became paranoid, insisting that an electrician had dropped a hot electrode into his shoe. In 1964 high school student Randy Gardner (17) attempted to break the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest time awake -- 260 hours. And after 11 days without sleep he suffered no hallucinations or paranoia and no psychotic symptoms. But Coren challenges this often repeated fact in his book. Coren describes the day-by-day impact on Randy, as documented by John Ross of the US Navy Medical europsychiatric Research Unit in San Diego. Randy had trouble focusing his eyes on day 2, hallucinations on day 4, and slurred speech and a short attention span by the last day. Certainly there are drugs such as caffeine, cocaine and amphetamines that keep you awake, but these cannot sustain you for very long.
- How long can a human live without sleep before their body shuts down? Does anyone know the world record????
- A: I wouldn't try for a world record in this area. Sleep deprivation that goes on for too long will kill you.
- How long can a normal person live without sleep??
- A: I think if you go too long (~4 or 5 days) your immune system will begin to break down and though lack of sleep itself won't kill you, a nasty bug getting through your weakened defenses could.Will have to check on that, though.
Prev Question: Is smiling contagious
People also view