Can hotdogs give you cancer
Hot dogs contain nitrite additives which form carcinogens. Carcinogens have been associated with cancer of the oral cavity,More? [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/can-hotdogs-give-you-cancer ]
More Answers to "Can hotdogs give you cancer"
- Does eating hotdogs really give you cancer?
- Everyone knows hot dogs aren't exactly healthy for you, but in a new study chemists find they may contain DNA-mutating compounds that might boost one's risk for cancer. Scientists note there is an up to 240-fold variation in levels of these...
- Do Hot Dogs give you cancer?
- well i like hot dogs myself and now u just made me hungry apparently research says that in some types of pork, bacon or hot dogs or beef or whatever has sodium nitrite which gives cancer. however if u go to the supermarket look on the ingre...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- does eating hotdogs really give you cancer?
- Q: i've heard that and I want to know the truth
- A: Everyone knows hot dogs aren't exactly healthy for you, but in a new study chemists find they may contain DNA-mutating compounds that might boost one's risk for cancer.Scientists note there is an up to 240-fold variation in levels of these chemicals across different brands."One could try and find out what the difference in manufacturing techniques are between the brands, and if it's decided these things are a hazard, one could change the manufacturing methods," researcher Sidney Mirvish, a chemist at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, told LiveScience.Mirvish and his colleagues examined hot dogs because past research had linked them with colon cancer. Hot dogs are preserved with sodium nitrite, which can help form chemicals known as N-nitroso compounds, most of which cause cancer in lab animals.Extracts from hot dogs bought from the supermarket, when mixed with nitrites, resulted in what appeared to be these DNA-mutating compounds. When added to Salmonella bacteria, hot dog extracts treated with nitrites doubled to quadrupled their normal DNA mutation levels. Triggering DNA mutations in the gut might boost the risk for colon cancer, the researchers explained. James Hodges, president of the American Meat Institute Foundation in Washington, noted this study is "a preliminary report that the author concedes requires further investigation. The carcinogenic risk to humans of the compounds studied has not been determined."
- Will I get cancer for eating too many hotdogs?
- Q: I eat about one hotdog a day. Is that too much? Will I get cancer?
- A: Many processed and packaged meats(including hot dogs) contain Sodium Nitrite, and research has shown it to be a possible link to colon cancer. So to answer your question, I have no idea if you will get cancer. Every person's body is different and your risk is directly tied to your genes. If your family has a history of cancer(especially colon cancer) then I would probably take it easy with the hot dogs.
- Did you know that eating too many hotdogs can give you mouth cancer?
- A: OH YEAH! That's a WELL KNOWN FACT!!! EVERYONE knows THAT, Joel! (( wink)) =)
Prev Question: What is hepotitis
People also view