Why was marijuana made to be illegal
Under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, marijuana was classified as having a high potential for abuse. ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/why-was-marijuana-made-to-be-illegal ]
More Answers to "Why was marijuana made to be illegal"
- Why was marijuana made illegal?
- William Randolf Hearst was the culprit.Owner of a large newspaper conglomerate who used his power and newspaper circulation to turn people against weed. I could tell you but the links and others available will do a much better job. Goggle"...
- When was marijuana made illegal?
- Marijuana isn't illegal in the whole world. It's actually openly accepted in some cultures, Amsterdam being a perfect example.
- What law in the US made marijuana illegal?
- it first was put under the books as a tax. meaning if you had marijuana and it wasnt taxed it was illegal.but the federal gov. never gave any taxes. im not sure when, but it was placed into the fda's scheduling system as a schedule 1 narcot...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Why was marijuana made illegal in the first place?
- Q: I can kind of understand why it's hard to get it legalized now, since so many people are used to the idea of it being illegal. But why was it ever made illegal in the first place?
- A: This question has been answered many many times. Basically it was Hemp was taxed, but no tax stamps were issued. The Govt knew they couldn't make it illegal so they just made it impossible to have legally, then the Drug Control Act(or whatever it's called) allowed them to actually outlaw it. So anyway though it was made illegal because the people who owned wood pulp had powerful friends in Congress. Wood Pulp is used to make paper BUT it costs more then Hemp did, and it wasn't as high of quality(ask yourself in the Constitution would still be around, even in climate controlled thing, if it was made of paper) so they had to get around that by getting their friends to outlaw hemp.
- Why do we continue to keep marijuana illegal when it was made illegal due to racism, still illegal?
- Q: It was made illegal due to the popularity among Mexicans in southwest and the African Americans in the south. Now they say it is health related, but marijuana is less harmful than alcohol.
- A: hahahaha!! This is so funny.. okay yea.. and you know what... Global warming is also due to Mexicans and African Americans.Tell ya what.. go ahead and smoke it for the next twenty years, and then come back and let us know if your in better health then the alcoholic.
- Why do you think the goverment made marijuana illegal?
- Q: i mean no one has died of overdose and why is it not regulated like tobacco or alcohol?
- A: It was racially motivated. It was thought that mexicans were sitting around all day smoking pot, not working and contributing to society. Almost all drug laws were passed for reasons like this. Cocaine for the blacks, Opium for the chinese, so on and so on. It was hoped that the mexicans, who were no longer needed as cheap labor, would move back. The same goes for the chinese. The blacks were feared to go cocaine crazy and rape white women. A lot of propaganda was spread to induce these fears. There are other reasons too, but these were the biggest contributors to the passing of these laws. And tax stamps meant nothing after they were passed. That was an effort to slow down usage and collect money. It probably will be legalized within ten years, just as soon as they can figure out how to control it. A lot of states are pushing for this. You need to join NORML or another pro-legalization organization if you feel so strongly about this.
Prev Question: Should I smoke pot today
People also view