What in marijuana makes you hungry
Marijuana--or more specifically its active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol--has a well-documented tendency to stimulate hunger. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-in-marijuana-makes-you-hungry ]
More Answers to "What in marijuana makes you hungry"
- What in Marijuana makes you hungry?
- Canibinoids are the active ingredients in THC. These little chemicals have been shown to actually stimulate digestion in the body and triggering a feeding response, one of the reasons it is being prescribed LEGALLY to patients with cancer a...
- Why does marijuana make you hungry?
- my guess is, it enhances all senses and makes EVERYTHING better (sleep, shower, sex, walks, music, terrible sitcoms, id say nature, but nature doesnt need enhancing. its already amazing). so sure youll probably get hungry, but after that fi...
- Why does marijuana makes people hungry?
- THC is a cannabinoid. A part of your brain, called the hypothalamus, has receptors for this substance. Normally the receptors are activated by your own internal chemicals when your body is hungry. But THC gives those receptors a false alarm...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- what in Marijuana makes you hungry?
- Q: I've always wondered, do any of you know?
- A: Canibinoids are the active ingredients in THC. These little chemicals have been shown to actually stimulate digestion in the body and triggering a feeding response, one of the reasons it is being prescribed LEGALLY to patients with cancer and aids. I can't stand the ignorance in this world - Marijuana does NOT cause brain damage, any study stating it does is simply citing an old study done in 1974 where Rhesus monkeys were forced to smoke via gas mask directly. "The most famous research from the time was carried out by a Dr. Robert Heath of Tulane University Medical School, New Orleans. His findings of permanent brain damage have been dismissed by similar, independently conducted studies. But other scientists have argued these methods of animal research are inconclusive. The debate continues to rage about the merits and perils of taking the drug. For example, some research argues cannabis aids multiple sclerosis sufferers, while other findings indicate cannabis increases the risk of psychosis and is more carcinogenic than tobacco. One in three adult Americans now admit to having smoked the drug. In 2000, around 750,000 people were arrested on marijuana charges. The federal government spends billions of dollars enforcing its prohibition."
- What is in marijuana that makes you hungry?
- A: One peculiar phenomenon associated with smoking marijuana is increased hunger, often called the "munchies." Research shows that marijuana increases both food enjoyment as well as the number of times a person eats each day. Until recently, the cause of the munchies was a relative mystery. However, a recent studies suggest increase appetite in marijuana users results from molecules in marijuana called endocannabinoids bind with receptors in the brain and activate the hunger response. This research indicates that endocannabinoids as they enter the hypothalamus of the human brain activate the specific cannabinoid receptors that are responsible for maintaining food intake. This effect may to be NOT just a result of smoking marijuana — that is a side effect of the experience. Scientists have found that marijuana-like substances naturally produced in the brain stimulate appetite — a finding that not only offers clues to treating obesity but also explains why marijuana smokers get the "munchies."A recent study suggests that the naturally produced endocannabinoids are part of the brain's complex system for controlling when and how much to eat. Scientists have known for several years about the existence of these brain substances, which are chemically similar to the active ingredient in marijuana but apparently do not make people high. However, their exact role in the brain was unclear. Recently, researchers found that mice that had been genetically altered so they could not respond to endocannabinoids ate less than normal mice did. The mice lacked "receptor" structures that endocannabinoids activate in the brain. When ordinary mice were given a substance that blocked endocannabinoids from acting at these receptors, they ate less than normal as well.The findings help explain a critical part of why marijuana users get a ravenous hunger — the "munchies" — after smoking pot. Such results also suggest that endocannabinoids are part of the complex neural circuitry controlled by leptin, a hormone that tells the brain when it is time to lose weight. Already, leptin is known to reduce levels of several other appetite-enhancing substances.It is unknown how endocannabinoids are created by the body, or precisely how they work. But they apparently can operate independently of the level of certain other appetite-triggering substances.
- Why does marijuana makes people hungry?
- Q: i've never smoked it and never will, but everyone i know that smoke weed get the "munchies" and go to sleep..why?
- A: THC is a cannabinoid. A part of your brain, called the hypothalamus, has receptors for this substance. Normally the receptors are activated by your own internal chemicals when your body is hungry. But THC gives those receptors a false alarm. And sometimes they don't shut off. Ever see someone eat a whole pizza? I have.
Prev Question: What is it like to do shrooms
People also view