What is better for you, margarine or butter
Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in "good" fats - than butter is. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-better-for-you%2C-margarine-or-butter ]
More Answers to "What is better for you, margarine or butter"
- What's better, margarine or butter?
- Butter and margarine both contain the same amount of calories; about 100 calories per tablespoon. For some time, margarine was considered better because it contained lower levels of artery-clogging saturated fat. But now we know that margar...
- Which is better butter or margarine?
- Real butter in moderation is better for you than margarine which is not natural and may have many preservatives.
- Is butter better than margarine?
- Recent studies on the potential cholesterol-raising effects of TFA have raised public concern about the use of margarine and whether other options, including butter, might be a better choice. Some stick margarines contribute more TFA than u...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Butter or margarine? Butter tastes much better than those cheap margarines we buy! Why not just buy butter?
- Q: When your host asks "Butter or margarine?" Don't we answer: "The Butter please."!!! . Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use n place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings. DO YOU KNOW.. the difference between margarine and butter? Read on to the end...gets very interesting! Both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams. Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING! Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC.. This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance). You can try this yourself: Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things: * no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something) * it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?I read this...(is it true)...in an email from a friend. I thought it was worth adding to my question..."Eating butter increases the abs orption of many other nutrients in other foods. Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added! Butter tastes much better than margarine and it c an enhance the flavors of other foods. Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years. And now, for Margarine.. Very high in trans fatty acids. Triple risk of coronary heart disease. Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL chol esterol, (the good cholesterol) Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold. Lowers quality of breast milk. Decreases immune response. Decreases insulin response."A Yahoo brought this web link to our notice...http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.aspIt says "There is a lot of truth to it" then continues to find fault with the info I shared with you today.This web link might have kept me from asking this question, but I'll leave it on the web for YOUR opinions!It boils down to who you will trust. Butter is from cows, who might have dangerous chemicals in their diet (and cause greenhouse gasses whenever they toot), but margarine is a food substitute with other suspicious things in the mix. Maybe they're both bad.So I go back to my original premise. I like the taste of butter, and always choose it when i have a choise, although we save grocery money buying margarine every time! Maybe we need to switch to the "natural" food butter!You can make butter by taking a jug of cream and shaking it vigorously. No additives, no preservatives . . . its ready to eat.Now. . . who knows how to manufacture "Oleo" (the original name for margarine. It doesn;t need refrideration likke butter. What does that tell you?!?Another point. . . how does margarine fit in the "100 mile diet". Support your local dairy farmers!
- A: That's way too much info to read... You really are passionate about this aren't you! LOL..fact is, here in Sydney, I think pound for pound, butter is less expensive than any of the margarines available on our supermarket shelves.I like butter. I like the way it tastes and I like to use it in cooking. The only thing I dont like about it is that it is too hard when refrigerated and too soft when left in the pantry. Fridges don't seem to have butter shelves any more!
- What's better for you...butter or margarine? Answers only from people you KNOW, not opinion...?
- Q: Amazingly enough, I heard butter is actually better for you. Can anyone tell me why?I would just think that butter would clog your arteries, because it is so solid when cold.What is "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!". I'm sure it's "not butter", soooo, that makes it margarine, right? It doesn't say that anywhere on the label. Ooh, that's sorta scary!
- A: Solid when cold? Why would it be cold? Your body is 98.6 degrees! Butter melts at that temp. And the butter itself doesn't get in your blood stream anyway.Butter is better for you because it's not all chemicals. It's not GOOD for you because of what it actually is, but at least your body knows what to do with it. Margarine is made with chemicals that your body doesn't really know what to do with. Same thing with artificial sweeteners like Splenda... great, it doesn't have sugar in it! But instead of sugar it has all these weird, unnatural chemicals. My body knows how to digest and process pure sugar... it doesn't know what to do with checmicals, though. So you're not doing yourself any favors by using substitutes.
- what is better for you: butter or margarine.?
- Q: im fat. nothing else to it. so what would be better for my diet: butter, or margarine?
- A: Butter, your body can digest it better.Margarine, you can get some plastic stuff thats reduced fat spread I suppose. Best thing if your fat is to change your whole diet , including reducing sugar. Its simple, if you want to lose weight you gotta, eat fresh fruit and vegies, not eat fried or sugary foods, dont eat as much and exercise.
Prev Question: What is folic acid
People also view