How can you tell if a necklace is real gold
All real gold jewelry has to be marked with a label of gold authenticity of 10K or 417, and there are also electronic testers. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/how-can-you-tell-if-a-necklace-is-real-gold ]
More Answers to "How can you tell if a necklace is real gold"
- How to tell if a necklace is real gold?
- The lack of a hallmark (10k, 14k, 18k etc.) is not indicative of whether your piece is gold or not. In the United States it is against the FTC's regulations for the jeweler to hallmark a piece of jewelry unless it is accompanied by a maker'...
- How can i tell if this gold necklace is real??
- A jeweller will be able to tell you, or you can test it yourself if you have access to these chemicals. How to make & use gold test solutions: Potassium dichromate salts and nitric and hydrochloric acids are needed to mix test solutions...
- Is there an easy way to determine if my gold necklace is real gol...?
- There are many plating materials out there that make an item look like gold or silver. If you are questioning what type of metal you have there are a few things that may help determine if your item is solid and “real” without damaging the i...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- How can you tell if a necklace is real solid gold?
- Q: I am trying to sell a crucafix gold necklace online but I can't tell if it is real gold. I think that it is but how can I find out? It has a gold chain and the cross it self is gold and the jesus is silver or white gold. can anyone help me out? This necklace was bought my one of my relatives and by my knowledge, he only buys real gold...not fake. thanks in advance.
- A: The lack of a hallmark (10k, 14k, 18k etc.) is not indicative of whether your piece is gold or not. In the United States it is against the FTC's regulations for the jeweler to hallmark a piece of jewelry unless it is accompanied by a maker's mark. So, when I first began making jewelry and did not have a trademark of my own, I did not hallmark my jewelry. Now that I have a maker's mark, I hallmark my jewelry with the appropriate metal hallmark and my maker's mark.A jeweler cannot just look at a piece and tell you for certain whether it is gold or not; the jeweler will do a test to determine it.To be scientfically accurate a sample of the metal in question must be assayed in a testing laboratory, but the following two tests have been used for many years and often are sufficiently accurate for a craftsperson or the owner of the metal in question.To answer "Is It Gold?":With a small file, make a scratch in an inconspicuous spot. While wearing rubber gloves, use a wooden, glass or plastic stick to apply a drop of nitric acid to the filed spot. Observe the reaction. When done, rinse everything well in running water.If there is no reaction, it's gold.If there's a bright green reaction, it's base metal.If there's green in the scratch, it's a gold layer over base metal (goldplate).If there's a milky reaction in the scratch, it's a gold layer over silver.To answer "What Karat Is It?"Determining karat requires a testing kit containing nitric acid, aqua regia, samples of known karat, and a touchstone of slate or ceramic.The gold object to be tested is rubbed on the stone ("touched") to leave a streak. A parallel line is made with one of the test pieces of known karat. Both marks are flooded with acid and the reaction are observed. When the sample colors at the same rate as the test streak, a match has been made. Nitric acid is used for low karat golds; aqua regia is needed for higher karats.Please note: these tests are for your information only. They are not accurate enough to rely upon when representing a piece for sale. Most jewelers have testing kits to use when determining if something is gold or not and its approximate karat. It is probably easiest to take the item to a jeweler than to set up the testing kits yourself.
- How do you tell if a necklace is real gold?
- Q: a few years ago,my dad went to Saudi Arabia and brought me back a gold necklace,the kind with your name in arabic on one side and english on the other.normally i wouldn't think it would be real gold but since it came from saudi arabia,how would i be able to tell?i know pure gold is too soft so i know it's not absolutely 100% gold
- A: The part the necklace hooks onit should say like 10 14 kor something like thatif it has something like that on therethen its real or you can just take to ajeweler
- how can i tell if this gold necklace is real?
- Q: my bf just bought a necklace off the street for$20. and it has a price tag that reads st moritz jewelers 14k gold $499.99 and on the necklace it has 14k but since it was off the street i was wondering how i can really tell if its real.
- A: number 1 you shouldn't buy stuff from off the street. lol But since it says 14K it should be real. If you wanna know for the heck of it go to your local jewler
Prev Question: How can you make hair longer faster
People also view