Symptoms of Black Nightshade Poisoning

by on March 9th, 2015
Share Button

Black nightshade, or Solanum ptycanthum, is from the nightshade family of plants. It grows one to three feet high, with some hairy stems, and alternate leaves. Flowers are white and star-like. There are yellow or brown seeds in a green berries that matures to black. The plant has a taproot. It is poisonous when ingested. Toxic compounds in the plant are solanine and atropine, both found more in the unripe fruits and leaves. This can also be known as Nightshade poisoning, Morelle noire poisoning, or Wonderberry poisoning.

Symptoms

Signs of a black nightshade poisoning include dry mouth, diarrhea, stomach pain, vomiting, dilated pupils, slow or rapid pulse, shock, slowed breathing, delirium, fever, headache, loss of sensation, paralysis, hallucinations, and sweating. A person doesn’t have to have all these symptoms to have been poisoned. If they have ingested black nightshade get them emergency treatment quickly.

Treatment

Call a local poison control or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. Get emergency services en route to the patient and try to determine the following:

How much was ingested? How long ago was the black nightshade ingested? The patient’s name, age, weight, and overall health

When emergency personnel show up, give them all this information as they assess the patient’s vital signs and get them stable. They will monitor their symptoms and treat them as needed. The patient may be given IV fluids, breathing support, activated charcoal, or a gastric lavage to wash out anything that is in the stomach cavity.

The outlook for a black nightshade poisoning is good, depending on the amount ingested and how quickly treatment was received. The quicker the treatment, the better the outlook.

Source: A.D.A.M., Illinoiswildflowers.info


Prev Article: »
Next Article: «

Related Articles