Are all pennies made before 1982 copper
Before 1982, a penny is made of 95% copper & 1983 or later it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating. ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/are-all-pennies-made-before-1982-copper ]
More Answers to "Are all pennies made before 1982 copper"
- Are all pennies made before 1982 copper
- Before 1982, a penny is made of 95% copper & 1983 or later it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating. ChaCha!
- Is a penny made before 1982 made of pure copper?
- Almost. Cents made from 1864 to 1942 and from 1944 to mid-1982 were made of approximately 95% copper and 5% other metals, mainly tin and/or zinc. 1943 cents were of course made of steel due to WW2 metal needs. To find a pure copper cent you...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Make-Up of Pennies from before 1962?
- Q: I'm doing a pre-lab for chemistry class and it's asking what pennies were made of before 1962. All it gives me is that pennies from 1962-1982 were made of 95% copper and 5% zinc and that pennies after 1982 are made of 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper. I can't find the make-up of pre-1962 pennies anywhere.
- A: Years Material1793–1857 copper1857–1864 88% copper, 12% nickel (also known as NS-12)1864–1942 bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)1943 zinc-coated steel (also known as steel penny)1944–1946 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)1946–1962 bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)1962–1982 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)1982– present 97.5% zinc core, 2.5% copper plating
Prev Question: How can I make my hair grow faster and what makes it not grow so fast
People also view