Can you get married before the age of 18 in the US
Yes, but there must be parental or court approval. A pregnant teen or teen mother needs no approval in DE, FL, GA, KY, MD and OK. [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/can-you-get-married-before-the-age-of-18-in-the-us ]
More Answers to "Can you get married before the age of 18 in the US"
- What is the percentage of people that get married before that age...?
- Very few people get married before the age of 18 in the United States. It's below 1%. Thanks for using ChaCha!
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Opinion: Do you think the marriage age in the US should be raised from 18 to 21?
- Q: Should the age that one can be legally married in the United States be raised to 21?In most states its 18, though in some one can get married as young as 15!I am aware that this has been happening for a long time.I am aware that in times past, women started families at 12 and 13.I am aware that some of our grandparents married at 17.*I'm a student of history. I know all this stuff*I also know, however, that times have changed. Society is a lot different now. Why not encourage young people to live a little first - go to college, get a job, travel...get some life experience under your belt before you run out and get hitched;many young marriages end in divorce.If you two REALLY love each other, waiting till age 21 shouldn't be a problem, right?
- A: 25 is more like it
- Why do people on here think their experts on when its the right age to get married?
- Q: Not everybody but a lot of people on here say getting married in your late teens to early 20's is to early and you will regret it.....These people dont know that for a fact..Everybody is different and feels ready for marriage at different ages...Some feel ready in their late teens,some feel ready in their early 20's...What makes people think they know if a person will regret it or not...They dont....People say a person should wait until their in their late 20's to early 30's to settle down so you can experience all that life has to offer before getting married..Well you can get married in your early 20's and share everything that life has to offer with a spouse too....When my husband and i got married i was 22 and he was 26 and we have been happily married 18 yrs and neither 1 of us has ever regretted it or felt we missed out on anything and i'm sure millions of people feel the same way.Well butter just cause some got married young and divorced doesnt mean it will happen to everybody.Ana nobody says this to me...I'm just saying what everybody on here says to people who want to get married young.And samantha i guess you know every 18-24 yr to say this about them.
- A: Easy answer! Statistics clearly show that the success rate of marriages between people in those age groups is much lower. No one is saying that each *individual* couple is the same - obviously, some of those marriages do succeed, and good for them, and good for you. But a lot of people change significantly when in their mid-20's, so getting married then may well mean you grow apart, and change in different directions. So overall, based on large numbers of statistics, it is safe to say that the advice given here not to marry young is good advice.
- I'm 17. My Boyfriend is 21. If we get married is it legal for us to have a baby? Even though I'm not of age
- Q: I'm not going to be 18 before it is born.I live in Oregon.Who can marry in Oregon? In Oregon, you must be 17 years old before you can marry. If you are under 18 years old, you must have the written consent of a parent or guardian before you can marry. Some exceptions apply if you have no parent or guardian living in Oregon. People cannot get married if:- They are first cousins, or any nearer of kin to each other (unless they are first cousins by adoption only); or- They already have a spouse. If we are married is it legal to have sex? Even though I'm under age? years difference is stupid!163.445 Sexual misconduct. (1) A person commits the crime of sexual misconduct if the person engages in sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse with an unmarried person under 18 years of age.(2) Sexual misconduct is a Class C misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §118]
- A: From your perspective, you might think years difference is stupid - and in your particular case it may be, but the laws are made for most people. Anyway...If you are pregnant now, as hard is it would be you need to talk to your parents. If you and he want to marry and they are okay with it, so be it.For heaven's sake, if you aren't pregnant don't go get pregnant as a ticket out of the house! If your parent's don't like him or don't approve, he could end up as an RSO! I know it seems like forever, but you'll be 18 before long. I promise!Best of luck to you!PS - of course married people are allowed to have sex!
Prev Question: How do you tell a guy you might be pregnant
People also view