Why is a catheter needed
Urinary catheters are sometimes recommended as a way to manage urinary incontinence and urinary retention in both men MORE? [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/why-is-a-catheter-needed ]
More Answers to "Why is a catheter needed"
- Why Is a Foley Catheter Needed?
- Urine is liquid waste produced by the kidneys. Urine flows from the kidneys into the bladder to be stored. The bladder is located in the lower abdomen. The urethra carries urine from the bladder through the penis out of the body. A Foley...
- Is a catheter needed for back surgery?
- I assume you are talking about a urinary catheter. Yes they are necessary for a short time after surgery. You will not feel up to getting in and out of bed to go to the bathroom. The Dr. and nurses also need an accurate measurement of the a...
- HOW LONG WILL I NEED THE NEPHROSTOMY CATHETER?
- This depends on the reason you needed the catheter: ･ 1. A blockage of the ureter either by stones, infection, scar tissue, or tumor- as long as the blockage ... ･ 2. A hole in the ureter- until the hole has healed. ･ 3. In preparation for ...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- If the post op time for putting rod in fibula/ tibia is just a couple of hours, why is catheter needed?
- Q: I am told in through yahoo answers that the post op period for putting in rod into a fracture of fibula and tibia through surgery is a few hours. Add to it a couple of hours of surgery. Then do you think the patient will need catheterisation for urination, as I had been told on yahoo answers earlier.I mean a person normally withholds urine for that long a time?Is it a must in case of a spinal (aneathesia)?I want to know what is the procedure that is followed, especially in India? It's not about me.
- A: I just answered your question under the injuries category, but I will answer it again here..A catheter is usually inserted anytime the sugery is over an hour or so. It is usually removed before you wake up however, so you will never know it was even there. If you have to stay overnight in the hospital they will probably lave it in. Yes, if you have a spinal block, they always do it because you have no feeling in your bottom half and can't feel if you have to go to the bathroom.The person who said she had a uti from her hospital stay got one because she was probably catheterized during her surgery, but didn't know it. There is no way to avoid bacteria getting into the bladder during catheterization, so doctors will only leave them in as long as necessary, but it sometimes results in infection.
- Is a catheter needed for back surgery?
- Q: I am having a spinal fusion for a herniated disc in my lower back. I am o.k. with all the cutting and stuff but the thought of a catheter worries me. Thanks a lot for answering.
- A: I assume you are talking about a urinary catheter. Yes they are necessary for a short time after surgery. You will not feel up to getting in and out of bed to go to the bathroom. The Dr. and nurses also need an accurate measurement of the amount of urine your kidneys are making in the immediate post-operative period to monitor for problems that can occasionally happen. You can ask your surgeon if the catheter can be placed by one of the OR nurses after you go to sleep with the anesthesia. Then you won't feel it going in and once it is in it really shouldn't be painful to you at all. Good luck with your recovery!
- Guys of Men's Health: Would you rather have a woman or man insert a catheter into you if needed?
- Q: Guys of Men's Health: Would you rather have a woman or man insert a catheter into you if needed?I work as a male nurse (it pays well lol) i have noticed men prefer to have a male nurse insert a catheter then a woman nurse, and i was wondering what you would prefer?
- A: I prefer to have one put in while I am out. The last time I had it done I was awake and a male nurse did it and it hurt like hell when he did it. I was in the emergency room for a heart problem and the house doctor ordered it to be done. If I go in again I'm going to refuse to let them do it while I'm awake or can feel pain. It really doesn't matter to me (at my age) if a women nurse or a male nurse does it.
Prev Question: What is the best and fastest way to get rid of a zit
People also view