Does L-lysine help for cold sores
There is anecdotal evidence that L-lysine may lessen the severity of a cold sore or reduce the number of cold sores one is prone to getting. Take 1 to 3 grams, divided among your meals for best results. ChaCha! [ Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/does-l%26%2345%3Blysine-help-for-cold-sores ]
More Answers to "Does L-lysine help for cold sores"
- Does l-lysine actually help ward off canker sores and cold sores??
- It does have an effect on canker sores. I use it to get rid of mine. I also recommended it to someone at work who gets chronic canker sores and it was the only thing that worked for them. My doctor recommended it to me.
- Do Lysine supplements help reduce cold sore outbreaks??
- Perhaps your not using enough. How to Take It A healthcare provider can help determine whether your diet provides enough lysine. If your diet does not contain sufficient lysine, a healthcare practitioner may recommend lysine supplements as ...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- L-Lysine for cold sores?
- Q: I've heard that L-Lysine is supposed to help suppress cold sores. Online it says you need to take at least 1500 mg for it to be effective. My pills, which are large in size, are only 500 mg. If I take it without food I get a terrible stomachache, so I'm worried that if I take 3 in one day, even with food, that it will upset my stomach. Is there anything else I can take? Does anyone know if L-Lysine can be purchased in a powder form, to mix into a drink?
- A: i dont think you can get it in any form other than the pill... but i know it works... i usually take about 5 - 7 pills a day until the cold sore goes away along with abreva.... but just take a couple pills after you eat and you should be fine
- Does l-lysine actually help ward off canker sores and cold sores?
- A: It does have an effect on canker sores. I use it to get rid of mine. I also recommended it to someone at work who gets chronic canker sores and it was the only thing that worked for them. My doctor recommended it to me.
- I have used abreva & L-LYsine and the cold sore is going down but its still there how long does it take?
- Q: It has gone down using these two products but it hasnt gone away completely. I have been only using it for one day. Now i have had this bump for two years and i cant believe its going down finally. How long does abreva normally take.
- A: Abreva and lysine do not cure cold sores. They may help the sore heal a little, but they do not address the virus itself.Once the cold sore has erupted, it will have to run its course, whihc is usually 10 days to 2 weeks. There is only one quick treatment for cold sores, and that is Valtrex, but unless you already have a prescription for it, it won't work well for this cold sore. There is no over-the-counter medication or home remedy that cures cold sores, but Valtrex, which is an anti-viral medication, will make them go away much faster, and as a result of taking this medication you will have far fewer outbreaks of cold sores. It was intended for genital herpes, but cold sores are caused by the same family of viruses, and Valtrex stops colds sores in their tracks. None of the other treatments come close to the effectiveness of Valtrex, not the ointment Zovirax, and certainly not Abreva or anything else. Ask your doctor about it to see if you would be a good candidate for this medication. Many of us already have the cold sore virus dormant in our bodies, and never have a flare up of cold sores. We contracted it as children, as it is a very common virus, and children pick it up easily as they often share food and drinks, and may be less concerned about hand washing and hygiene. Cold sores can be transmitted even when the person does not have a cold sore, though it is less likely to happen then. These sites are informative.http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/cold-sores-topic-overviewhttp://kidshealth.org/kid/ill_injure/aches/cold_sores.htmlhttp://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9325.htm
Prev Question: How do you heal a sprained wrist
People also view